Only in the latter half of the eighteenth century did settlers from Connecticut get around to clearing the land in the wooded northern hills of Wayne County.
Dyberry Forks, which was to become the county seat, was then just a swampy wilderness at the point where the Dyberry River joins the Lackawaxen on its way to the Delaware.
The Centennial Block consists of multiple Italianate three-story brick buildings sharing a mix of architectural details, including segmental windows with decorative hoods and sills, and cornices with panels and brackets.
Each building bears minor, but distinctive decorative differences. began in 1829 when Captain Ed Murray began selling goods on the newly constructed canal.
The stock offered for sale that day was oversubscribed within a few hours, and the newly-formed Delaware & Hudson Canal Company became America’s first million-dollar private enterprise.
At its peak over 5,000 boats were traveling the canal at one time, each loaded with as much as 160 tons of coal.
WALK THROUGH THE PARKING LOT OUT TO MAIN STREET AND TURN RIGHT, WALKING EAST.2.
That coal came over the mountain from Carbondale on a ‘’gravity railroad’’ as loaded cars were hauled up on tracks on a series of planes, or inclines, to the top of Farview by stationary steam engines, then lowered by gravity down planes on the other side to the town of Waymart, finally coasting on a steady downgrade into Honesdale.
Empty cars were brought back to Waymart by horse or mule.
The town got started in the 1820s because of Maurice and William Wurts’s coal business.
To get their anthracite coal from the mines in Carbondale to seaboard cities, they decided to build a canal from Dyberry Forks to Rondout (now Kingston), New York, on the Hudson River.